17 March 2009

Springtime


Well, we are all feeling much better around here. And we had a lovely day today! This morning we all slept in, (well Burgundy and I did, and Finn let us) and then we got dressed and went to the park. I found a new park last night (right by my host's house for the Pampered Chef party I did), so we tried it out and it was pretty good.

A few things are different this year. Last year, we didn't go to the park quite as much as the previous year I guess, and when we did, Burgundy was in her stroller. Well, now that spring has sprung Burgundy loves to get outside! She is able to walk and nothing is going to stop her! So going to the park is slightly different and more challenging. I felt bad because Finn wants me to go down the slide with him and climb everything with him, which I used to do, but no longer can because now I am following Burgundy as she wanders around the park. He did really well though, and had a fun time. I think we were all just glad to be out of the house!

So then we came home and Burgundy took her nap, and afterward we all went back outside. It was 60 and slightly overcast, so not too sunny - just a gorgeous day. So this part I enjoyed because seems like for 4 years now I have not been able to do much in the way of yard work (poor me, ha!) which I don't mind for the most part but on days like this when we are outside and I see there is a lot to be done and Cody is super busy at work already, well on days like this I'd like to be able to do some stuff! So I actually did get a lot done. Cleaned up all the old day lilies and got one of the huge fountain grasses cut to it's base so it can regrow. (I would've done the other 2 but I ran out of room in the garbage can!)

Finn rode his bike and Burgundy wandered around the yard. She did pretty good at not going past the sidewalk, etc., and Finn is mommy's little watchdog to keep her safe which I love. (he has told me when I was in the bathroom and she climbed on the glass-top end table, when somehow she managed to stand up in her high chair, and if she got too close to the other side of the sidewalk). What a good big brother he is!! So between the two of us we were able to keep her wrangled in the front yard as I worked.

We took a trip around the block with Burgundy in the stroller and Finn on his bike, then we moved to the back yard and played catch for a little while and I was looking at the curbing ring around the back patio thinking "we should just tear it out". See we have this circular patio and this cute curbing around it which I envisioned constantly full of flowers and beautiful. Well, as it happens, it is less a beautiful potter than a swampy mote around the patio. It just kind of traps the water from the patio so nothing grows there - except mosquitoes.
We were thinking we could maybe plant dwarf bamboo there to make a kind of hedge which would have been awesome, but for 3 plants it costs $100 and we would need a lot. So there went that idea.

So Cody got home tonight and said, "you know we should just rip that curbing out." Well, that was enough for me! So he got the shovel for me and out it came. So now we will just have grass up to the edge of the patio. Sad to lose my planter, but it just wasn't working (for the last 4 years) so screw it. One less thing to worry about!

So anyway, today was a fun day, we had great weather, got to play outside and are all feeling pretty much better. A good day.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been doing my weeding and ripping stuff up in spurts. On a serious note do you want to bring your grasses over to our compost bin? We have got space. Let me know I have a wheelbarrel if you want to haul it on over. Did you throw away your curbing? If not I could use it here. LOL. Seriously