20 July 2008

Paint I & II - the saga

oh boy. where to begin. Well I had the bright idea to paint this weekend. It got out of hand. First I thought we should paint Finn's room, and I have been wanting to paint the guest bathroom so I figured two birds with one stone, I'll just get that paint too.


So I picked two colors for Finn's room. One was a tan suede for the window wall and the other walls were to be the same color blue as his curtains. I didn't want a BLUE room, but his curtains are a nice almost silvery blue. Then I thought, hey that window wall is small and I have a whole gallon of suede paint so while I'm at it I will paint the hallway wall with the arch by the front door.

So on Friday while everyone was sleeping and Cody was at work, I got started on the suede hall wall. I skimped on the paint because it was going fast and I still had to do Finn's wall with it and I had forgotten that that suede paint does NOT go far. So when I was done with the hall wall I didn't like it because it didn't look suedey enough. So if I went over it all again, then I wouldn't have enough paint to do Finn's wall so I had to buy a regular paint in close to the same tan color for Finn's room (I bought regular because I thought better of putting suede paint in a little boy's room - and Erin confirmed that thought)

You following so far?

So on Saturday we were all geared up to continue with our work. We got Finn's tan wall done then we did the blue. And it was BLUE. And it did NOT match the curtains. And I was not very happy with it. (it actually doesn't look too bad in this picture, but standing in the room it was just too much)


So then we had to get ANOTHER gallon of paint to RE-DO Finn's blue walls. Ugh. And Cody and I could not decide on a color. He wanted grey and I thought another, darker brownish tan would go better with the existing tan wall. So we did a brownish color. And I like it far less than I liked the blue. So guess what - we are going to paint it a THIRD time. (this is why I didn't paint it while I was pregnant with Finn - I could never decide on a color)


I am pretty disappointed. Erin - why don't you live closer!!?? There would've been about 20 times when I would've called and said "please come over - I need your expert color advice!!" I thought I was getting pretty good at picking out colors that I just love but I guess not. When I did my bedroom in the grey suede and our kitchen in the deep purple, I was just instantly like - I LOVE IT. Not so this time. I don't hate it but, yeah.

Meanwhile, I also painted the guest bath. And it turned out pretty good. I re-did the suede effect so now the hallway looks pretty decent as well. These are the first two times we painted Finn's room, and I will post the third and (hopefully) final color - which will be greys like Cody suggested (I didn't do that to begin with because I am not sure how 3 grey and one tan wall would look - I don't think I'd like that, but now we are doing it all 2 shades of grey) - unless of course I just decide to leave it the brown and paint the light tan wall the same color brown. I think it is that damn tan wall that is the problem. Hopefully I can just decide and like the outcome.


The only thing that sucks (only thing? ha!) is that I have Pampered Chef the next 2 nights so now Finn has to live with a bare room all week. Ugh.

1 comment:

Ed said...

I have a blue color that is not too overwhelmingly blue if you are still undecided...The grey sounds good too...